Bourtange Postmortem (ILGE 2010)

Bourtange @ github

Overall I’m satisfied with my lisp game. My major goals were to learn lisp (to a shallow yet useable degree), learn a little about functional programming and last but not least to end up with a playable game. I feel I hit those goals and as an added bonus I’ve enjoyed programming in lisp so much that I’m looking for another project to start working on. That said, here is an explanation of what went into the game, what went right and what went wrong.

Built with
I made the bulk of the game using sbcl with cl-opengl for graphics and TextMate for editing. I wrote some custom ‘build’ scripts to send my monolithic game file to the sbcl repl. The development cycle was similar to what you’d expect from programming in C, ‘write->compile->test’. Later on after my first version I got help from the guys at #lispgames (irc.freenode.net) (sykopomp, xristos, 3b) with setting up emacs and using slime-connect, as well as setting up a .asd for my game. Using the interactive dev env that emacs + slime enables is really a liberating way to program.

What went right
* My game is playable! More often than not I leave my game projects in an unplayable (sometimes not compilable) state. I’m proud to say that this game is playable.
* The difficulty of the game goes up over time.
* I tried to program in a very functional way, which worked most of the time. It enabled my program to easily reset, and should allow for a fairly easy save function, but I never got into file i/o to finish that.
* The colors are cool

What went wrong
* Writing in a functional way messed me up a little. I tried my best to make things functional, without really having a firm grasp on what that means. I would give up on writing functionally and go back to just making things work when the going got tough. This means that in the end, I feel the code is naive and dirty.
* Collision detection is very simple. This would be fine if things didn’t move very fast, but when using gravitational equations for motion, things get very fast when they get very close. In order to keep the collision detection simple I put limits on how fast things can move. It works, but it’s dirty.
* After something gets hit I recalculate 360 points of an arc to display the life left. Halfway through development I wanted to have all the circles be drawn using ONE list of points generated ONCE. I could draw some percentage of the points to represent life lost. When I tried to refactor for this, drawing became very, very broken. If I had more time to work this out I think the game would be much faster and much smoother.

All in all, I’m pleased. I hope you play my game, and I hope you have fun playing it!

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Bourtange Postmortem (ILGE 2010)”

  1. Alex Haan Says:

    Hi, I happened to do a search for the word “Bourtange” yesterday and found a mention of this game.
    I was wondering how you came to using that word for your game.

    I’ve grown up right outside the fortress named Bourtange in the Netherlands (http://www.bourtange.nl). Though your game is a fortress/tower defense game, it does play in space. I’m simply intrigued.

  2. If I remember correctly I was looking for images on google under “fortress star.” The first thing that popped up in the results was Fort Bourtange, which is an amazing fort. It’s a subtle connection, fortress defense in space -> star in space -> star fortress in the Netherlands, but it seemed like a fun connection. I’m glad you think so too!

Leave a Reply


Follow me on GitHub
Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Twitter
Thrilling.
EFNX is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).