Archive for August, 2010

Bourtange Postmortem (ILGE 2010)

Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

Bourtange @ github

Overall I’m satisfied with my lisp game. My major goals were to learn lisp (to a shallow yet useable degree), learn a little about functional programming and last but not least to end up with a playable game. I feel I hit those goals and as an added bonus I’ve enjoyed programming in lisp so much that I’m looking for another project to start working on. That said, here is an explanation of what went into the game, what went right and what went wrong.

Built with
I made the bulk of the game using sbcl with cl-opengl for graphics and TextMate for editing. I wrote some custom ‘build’ scripts to send my monolithic game file to the sbcl repl. The development cycle was similar to what you’d expect from programming in C, ‘write->compile->test’. Later on after my first version I got help from the guys at #lispgames (irc.freenode.net) (sykopomp, xristos, 3b) with setting up emacs and using slime-connect, as well as setting up a .asd for my game. Using the interactive dev env that emacs + slime enables is really a liberating way to program.

What went right
* My game is playable! More often than not I leave my game projects in an unplayable (sometimes not compilable) state. I’m proud to say that this game is playable.
* The difficulty of the game goes up over time.
* I tried to program in a very functional way, which worked most of the time. It enabled my program to easily reset, and should allow for a fairly easy save function, but I never got into file i/o to finish that.
* The colors are cool

What went wrong
* Writing in a functional way messed me up a little. I tried my best to make things functional, without really having a firm grasp on what that means. I would give up on writing functionally and go back to just making things work when the going got tough. This means that in the end, I feel the code is naive and dirty.
* Collision detection is very simple. This would be fine if things didn’t move very fast, but when using gravitational equations for motion, things get very fast when they get very close. In order to keep the collision detection simple I put limits on how fast things can move. It works, but it’s dirty.
* After something gets hit I recalculate 360 points of an arc to display the life left. Halfway through development I wanted to have all the circles be drawn using ONE list of points generated ONCE. I could draw some percentage of the points to represent life lost. When I tried to refactor for this, drawing became very, very broken. If I had more time to work this out I think the game would be much faster and much smoother.

All in all, I’m pleased. I hope you play my game, and I hope you have fun playing it!

My Lisp Game is Done!

Monday, August 9th, 2010

I just checked in the ‘final’ code to github. Check out my first program in lisp!

Bourtange, a fort defense game writting in Lisp

Bourtange!

Lisp Game Progress

Sunday, August 1st, 2010

So after my first (almost) 30 days of learning lisp, I have a playable game. The gameplay is a cross between tower defense and orbient. You control a planet-base (the core) in the center of the screen. This core comes equipped with one weapon, the core-blast. Enemies are generated at the edge of the screen, in the spawning-belt, and are drawn toward your core by gravity. When enemies collide with the core, the core looses life. Life is displayed as a green outline around the core and when your core is out of life, it explodes. When an enemy dies, which happens either by colliding with your core, being hit by a blast or being thrown past the spawning belt, you gain resources. Resources are displayed by purple boxes in the upper left. You can spend these resources on extra cores and weapons in the weapon-store, which is displayed in the upper right. Below is a screen shot of the game in action.
Screen Shot
A lot of work still remains to be done, but I hit the 30 day deadline with this first draft. Luckily, the contest hosts have extended the due date to August 10th. By then I plan to fix some bugs, add more weapons, enemies, a game-over screen and do some optimization. I feel accomplished after learning lisp, though I know I’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg and have found my new favorite language. To the hosts of the competition, thanks! You guys have made me a better programer.

The source to the game is here and you can download and build the game as you please. Send me a message with your thoughts on my game or my code!


Follow me on GitHub
Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Twitter